And you thought vegans didn't have fun. Today, we are going to be working on a rendition of a chicken tacos…made out of tofu.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 8 tacos
– 14 oz block of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed in towel under pan/weight for 10-15 minutes
– 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped small
– 1 tbl of avocado oil (olive or grapeseed work)
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
– 1/2 tsp coriander
– 1/2 tsp ginger ground
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1-2 tbl of garlic chili paste (depending on heat level)
– salt + pepper to taste
Mezcal Lime Corn
– 2 corn cobs, kernels cut off
– 1 tbl of avocado oil
– 1 lime, juiced
– 1 tbl of mezcal (more never hurt…)
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1/2 tsp Old Bay or cajun seasoning
– salt + pepper to taste
– 2 chipotles in adobo sauce (minced) + 2 tbl of adobo sauce
– 1/2 cup of vegan mayo
– 1 lemon, juiced
– pinch or two of pepper
– Corn tortillas to serve
– handful of cilantro, chopped
– lime wedges
1. Once your tofu is dried out and drained, chop it into very thin strips about 1/8 inch thick across either the wide side or short side. Flip and cut the whole block in 1/2. You should have quite a lot of pieces resembling thin small pieces of chicken. If not small enough, halve them again.
2. Place the tofu pieces into a large mixing bowl, mix with oil, spices, garlic, and chili paste. Stir until tofu is well coated. Add salt + pepper to taste. Can add more spices if you'd like.
3. Get two pans, one large and one medium, hot over medium heat for corn and tofu. Once warmed put the tofu in the large pan and oil in the medium pan. Add corn to medium pan, once the oil is hot. Let the corn cook for 3-4 minutes, add lime juice, mezcal and seasonings, reduce to medium low heat and cook until liquid has drained and corn is starting to brown/blacken. Let the tofu cook on each side for a few minutes. Continue to stir until it has browned and has a crisp edge. Set corn and tofu aside.
4. Mix together chipotles, adobo sauce, mayo, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add more chipotles for spicier, adobo for smokier, mayo if its too hot, lemon if you like it more tart.
5. Ready to serve. Warm corn tortillas in the microwave or if you have more time on a low setting in your oven. I like a double corn tortilla for these so I can load them up and not worry about them breaking. Build each taco with 1/8 of tofu, 1/8 corn, 1/8 crema, 1/8 cilantro, 1/8 guac.
Lastly and most importantly, enjoy the hell out of it!